Followers

Experience the "World"

Here's to a double-header blogpost. Lots of fun things to report so enjoy!

So my grand experience of the world was to little ol' Fernley, NV. I imagine most of you don't even know where Fernley is in Nevada. Never fear, geography was never my strong point either, though even if it was, I still probably wouldn't have randomly known where Fernley was. In the past 2 weeks however, I spent 4 days there and 2 full days of driving between there and Utah. Yay for summer vacations :P

The lowdown -

My dad grew up in Fernley and my aunt (my dad's sister) still lives there. So we had a semi-family reunion type of vacation where my uncle and aunt and a couple of my cousins and one second cousin came as well as my Grandpa. My little sister was "lucky" enough to be able to go with my parents and myself to our little family reunion. It was nice to be able to see this side of the family because I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen any of them in the course of my entire life (which given my advancing age is a large number of years). :P

We headed out bright and not quite as early as planned on Wednesday morning. My parents had decided we would take the lesser traveled route to get there, which gave us the great opportunity of driving on the road called "The Loneliest Road in America" and let me tell you it really is the loneliest road. Nothing to see for miles and miles except sagebrush, dirt and dust devils. You are lucky to even see other traffic. The most exciting part of the drive was having to stop for road construction, seeing things move on the side of the road - lots of things, which looked big and brown and a little creepy. After sitting there for almost 20 minutes with no sign of us being able to move I got out of the car to see what actually was crawling around out there. It ended up being this -

A whole bunch of Mormon crickets crawling all over the land to the side of the road. And once we got driving again, we hit a section of road that was almost completely brown from squished crickets! Lunch anyone?


Highlights -

* Wednesday night when we arrived we got to have dinner with my cousin and her family along with my aunt. After dinner we went over to a field across the road to watch my cousin's son show off his jumping skills on his bike. And low and behold lying in one of the bushes was a not so crisp but completely valid $20 bill! Not everyday you randomly find $20 you get to keep because there is no way to find the owner.

* Seeing family that I rarely get to see. We had lots of laughs and good times.

* Visiting Virginia City and the Nevada State Museum in Carson City. Here are a few pictures from both!
And you thought todays sewing patterns were complicated!

* After ALOT of quarters, winning the jackpot on one of the arcade games at Circus Circus, resulting in a winning of over 500 tickets! It shouldn't feel like such a win when you have to spend so much money on it but somehow it does. Hence one reason I will never gamble (other than on arcade games I guess :P).

* 26 mile bike ride with my aunt in the 96 degree heat of Nevada. I'm proud to say that is my longest bike ride yet and with only on flat tire (with a less than 20 min. turnaround for a tire change) was a successful bike ride.

Lowlights  - because let's be honest, what trip would be a trip without at least a few lowlights.

* We arrived at Circus Circus an hour and a half before it opened (not on purpose), and then after waiting for it to finally open, they only opened half of it - the LAME half.

* Driving over 16 hours in less than a week. It wasn't horrible, I just don't love lots of driving so it wasn't a highlight for sure.


Overall, not my #1 summer vacation ever but it was a fun trip and I got to see a little bit of the "world"
Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment