Followers

Happiness isn't supposed to creep

Life has felt pretty tough for too long - unmet expectations, plans that don't work out how you plan, uncertainty in too many aspects of life, a forced change of dreams, etc. So I've thought alot lately about happiness and while I've always had the mindset that happiness is what you make of it rather than the circumstances you are in. But as many of you can attest to if this is also a mindset you strive for, it is MUCH easier said than done :)

But a few weeks ago, I got a new calling since I moved and am in a different ward. And while I don't normally share what was said in the setting apart, he said something that I was a little surprised by but have thought alot about it and wanted to share. He said that I would be blessed with an abundance of happiness - so not just that I would be happy or find happiness but and ABUNDANCE of happiness. In my book that is ALOT of happiness.

Given that life has felt tough for so long, though, and abundance of happiness seemed a little far-fetched. So I've been waiting, looking, watching, seeking that abundance of happiness. But in the weeks that have passed that abundance hasn't seemed any closer than the moon.

However, I was just sitting at work this morning, tired because this week has been crazy and yesterday was non-stop and I suddenly realized happiness had somehow crept up on me and I haven't even realized it. And as I analyzed it (because everything deserves a good analysis) I realized I'm excited for what life has ahead even though for some of the biggest things in my life I have no idea what they are but I'm excited for the challenges and the different things I've become involved in. And I just wanted to share a few things that have contributed to my abundance :)

* The miracle and power of the Atonement. I recently read Elder Bednar's talk again that was in April's Ensign that he gave at a devotional awhile ago about the enabling power of the Atonement and it has been such an inspiration in making the power of the Atonement more real in my everyday life. If you haven't read it, go read it now!

* Those people in your life that just always provide support and encouragement when you need it. Who are always willing to provide a listening ear.

* Laughter - especially shared laughter. There is nothing quite so cathartic as laughing together with others. I went to a luncheon yesterday with women from the shelter agency I work with and the entire hour or so I was there we talked and laughed and I cannot tell you how much better that makes any day.

* New people in your life that you are getting to know who are amazing and accepting and help you to feel apart of something and who inspire you to want to be a better person.


So I would not have expected happiness to be creepy :P Or to creep up on me but somehow it has and an abundance of happiness really is amazing and can be found and enjoyed even in the rough times!
Category: 1 comments

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Cherilee you're awesome!

Post a Comment